Wilmington, OH – Jason Berry piloted Avila (Casiro 1 x Jornesse) to win in the $10,000 USHJA National Hunter Derby 3′ Open against a field of twenty-two exceptional hunters today during Derby Friday at World Equestrian Center. It was the pair’s second $10,000 USHJA National Hunter Derby 3′ Open win of the 2022 Winter in the Midwest circuit.
Berry of Jason Berry Stables in Verona, Virginia, and Avila owned by Emo/Willow Wind Partners, LLC navigated the course designed by Bobby Murphy of Lexington, KY to deliver two foot-perfect rounds. The pair earned a first round score of 90 and a handy round 89 ¼ from the judges, with a combined grand total of 179 ¼ points to take home the win.
Newly declared professional rider, Christopher Coberley of Fox Meadow Farm in Temperance, Michigan, and Lissa Guyton’s News For You (I Am Moerhoeve’s Star x Boule De Neice IV) fininished a close second place. Coberley and the 10-year-old Belgian Warmblood gelding laid down two consistent rounds to earn scores of 89 and 89.5 and a total of178.5 points for the red ribbon honors.
Jason Berry rode Brugh’s Mill (Homerus E x I-Thake), a 10-year-old Belgian Warmblood gelding owned by Joan W. Alberti. Berry to a third place finish in the class on a first round score of 88 and a handy score 89, for a 178 point total.
$10,000 USHJA National Hunter Derby 3′ Open Results:
- Avila, Jason Berry: 90 | 89.5 | 179.5
- News For You, Christopher Coberley: 88 | 89.5 | 177.5
- Brugh’s Mill, Jason Berry: 88 | 89 | 177
- Casiro, Kelsey Epperson: 87 | 88 | 175
- The Boy Friend, David Beisel: 85 | 88.5 | 173.5
- Astra Road, Michaella Gerlacher: 86 | 87 | 173
- Cinda, Melissa Donnelly: 82 | 88.5 | 170.5
- Dalliance, Michaella Gerlacher: 83 | 87 | 170
- Calisandro, Michaella Gerlacher: 84 | 84 | 168
- MTM Bentley, David Beisel: 85 | 88.5 | 173.5
Amanda Wildauer and Cassano take $10,000 USHJA National Hunter Derby 3′ Non Pro Win
Sixteen esteemed horse-and-rider combinations competed in today’s $10,000 USHJA National Hunter Derby 3′ Non Pro class. The track was similar to that of the Open division and while the competition was fierce, none could best Amanda Wildauer and her own Cassano.
Wildauer’s skillful riding helped the elegant Cassano (Contendro Q), a 10-year-old Oldenburg gelding, earn the highest scoers in the class. The pair were awarded an 88 in the first round and 89 in the handy, totaling 177 for the win.
Placing second in the Non Pro division was Sophia Keoleian and Ethereal (Last Man Standing x Hauptstutbuch Raphaela). Keoleian and the 11-year-old gelding delivered two polished rounds and notched respectable scores of 84 and 85 for a total of 169 points, for a red-ribbon finish.
Kiera Phlipot of Manchester, MI, and her own Red Roc (Roc USA x Rhea) finished with another top-three podium finish in World Equestrian Center’s R+L arena. Phlipot and the 13-year-old Warmblood gelding earned scores of 82 and 84, totaling 166 for third place honors.
$10,000 USHJA National Hunter Derby 3′ Non Pro Results:
- Cassano, Amanda Wildauer: 88 | 89 | 177
- Ethereal, Sophia Keoleian: 84 | 85 | 169
- Red Roc, Kiera Phlipot: 82 | 84 | 166
- Waboca V.I., Zoe Lampert: 76 | 87 | 163
- Stallone, Emily Giorgio: 79 | 81 | 160
- Silent Partner, Marcy Tremblay: 70 | 84 | 154
- Captain Jack, Madeline D. Brooks: 73 | 80.5 | 153.5
- Valor, Paige C. Blevins: 72 | 81 | 153
- Cabochon, Sophie Carlin: 86 | 82 | 150
- Ne-Yo, Ella Ballard: 74 | 69 | 143