The United States Equestrian Federation, the national governing board of the equestrian board, is hosting the 2015 US Pony Finals Aug. 3-9 at Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, Kentucky. World Equestrian Center (WEC), the nation’s largest indoor equine facility, is one of the sponsors of the event.
The pony finals is considered the premier event for riders and trainers in the United States. Here are some interesting details and upcoming events at the finals and answers to frequently asked questions.
The Pony Finals Auction is scheduled for Aug. 5 at the Kentucky Horse Park. Call or fax (866) 652-7789 for additional information.
Sections offered at the pony finals include:
- Small Regular Hunter Pony.
- Medium Regular Hunter Pony.
- Large Regular Hunter Pony.
- Small Green Hunter Pony.
- Medium Green Hunter Pony.
- Large Green Hunter Pony.
- Marshall and Sterling/Pony Medal.
- Pony Jumper.
Here are ways ponies qualify for the Regular Hunter Pony Section:
- Win a Championship or Reserve Championship in a “AA” or “A” Rated Regular Pony section between July 2, 2014 and July 1, 2015, according to the USEF.
- At the time of the win, the pony must have a USEF Annual or Life Horse Recording, a USHJA Horse Registration and a valid measurement card. The pony’s owner must have an active competing USEF and USHJA (United States Hunter Jumper Association ) membership with USEF and USHJA.
How do ponies qualify for the Green Hunter Pony Section?
- Win a Championship or Reserve Championship in an “A” or “AA” Rated Green Pony section between Dec. 1, 2014 and July 1, 2015.
- Or, if a pony that is eligible for the Green Hunter Pony section qualifies in the Regular Hunter Pony section, the owner can choose to compete the pony in the Green Hunter Pony section at Pony Finals. The pony cannot compete in both the Green and Regular Hunter Pony sections at Pony Finals.
- At the time of the win, the pony must have a USEF Annual or Life Horse Recording, a USHJA Horse Registration, and a valid measurement card. The owner of the pony must have an active competing membership with USEF and USHJA. The pony must be eligible for the Green Hunter Pony section in accordance with the rules.
How do riders qualify for the Marshall and Sterling/Pony Medal Final?
- A rider must earn 30 points competing in Marshall and Sterling/Pony Medal classes to qualify for the Marshal and Sterling/Pony Medal Finals. The qualifying period is July 2, 2014 through July 1, 2015. A first place is worth 30 points, a second is worth 15, and a third is worth 10.
For those planning to attend and looking for official accommodations, the USEF provides a list that includes contact information, addresses and prices.
Official hotels for the finals are:
- Clarion Hotel, 1950 Newton Pike Lexington, Kentucky, 40511, (859) 233-0512. Rate: $92/night.
- Courtyard by Marriott, 775 Newtown Court, Lexington, Kentucky, 40511 (800) 228-9290. Rate: $102/night.
- Embassy Suites 1801 Newtown Pike Lexington, Kentucky 40511 (859) 455-5000 Rate: $139.95/night.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites 2100 Hackney Place Lexington, Kentucky 40511 (859) 977-5870 Rate: $98/night.
- Four Points by Sheraton 1938 Stanton Way Lexington, Kentucky 40511 (859) 825-8001 Rate: $109/night.
- Holiday Inn Express Georgetown 140 Osborne Way Georgetown, Kentucky 40324 (502) 570-0220 Rate: $107.99/night.
- Marriott Griffin Gate Resort 1800 Newtown Pike Lexington, Kentucky 40511 (800) 228-9290 Rate: $145/night.
About 600 ponies compete in the US Pony Finals every year.
WEC is a complete, full-service show facility, designed and operated by a family who owns and shows horses. Call us today for more information or to book a show!